Skip to Content

About: admin

Recent Posts by admin:

Donald Trump should not address the UK parliament, says Speaker John Bercow, citing ‘racism and sexism’

Written on March 20, 2019 at 14:46, by

House of Commons Speaker John Bercow addressing Trump’s upcoming visit. Photo: BBC screenshotLondon: The British parliament’s Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow has made a passionate statement arguing why US President Donald Trump should not address MPs from Westminister Hall, citing the parliament’s opposition to “racism and sexism” and commitment to equality.
Nanjing Night Net

Bercow said an address by a foreign leader to the Houses of Parliament is not an “automatic right” but an “earned honour”.

The speaker said he was “strongly opposed” to Trump addressing Parliament but became “even more strongly opposed” after the President’s executive order banning travel and immigration by citizens of seven Muslim-majority nations was implemented.

“I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations,” he said to applause by SNP MPs in the chamber.

Immediately after the Speaker’s speech. the veteran Labour MP Dennis Skinner, who has previously likened Trump to Hitler and Mussolini, stood and said “two words: well done”.

The Speaker’s comments follow last week’s fierce row over whether the President should be granted the honour of following in the footsteps of leaders like Nelson Mandela, Aung San Suu Kyi, Barack Obama and Ronald Reagan.

“Four more years of Speaker Bercow. Well done, Mr Speaker,” said the SNP’s Alex Salmond.

Labour parliamentarians also rushed to congratulate the Speaker, a Tory MP.

“Well said John Bercow,” tweeted Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn.

“We must stand up for our country’s values. Trump’s State Visit should not go ahead.”

The prominent Labour MP Harriet Harman also praised the Speaker’s stand.

“Speaker Bercow just cancelled Trump visit to parliament. A proud moment for Commons. Racism and sexism not welcome here,” he said.

But the former leader of UKIP, Nigel Farage condemned the Speaker’s intervention as political.

“For Speaker Bercow to uphold our finest parliamentary traditions, he should be neutral,” said Mr Farage, who does not hold a seat in the British Parliament.

The three key holders – the Speakers of the House of Commons and House of Lords along with the Lord Great Chamberlain – determine for what purpose Westminister Hall can be used.

Some 1.8 million people have signed petition calling for Trump’s state visit to Britain be cancelled, triggering an automatic debate on the matter in the British Parliament.

But Prime Minister Theresa May is adamant the President will visit the country in coming months, although 10 Downing has left the door open to the President being denied a parliamentary address because of public sentiment.

Follow Latika Bourke on Facebook

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Sydney Now: What you need to know on Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Written on March 20, 2019 at 14:46, by

Good morning
Nanjing Night Net

It’s going to be 25 degrees with rain in the city today and 24 in Parramatta, also with rain. There is a strong wind warning in place for the Sydney Coast. Temperatures resume their climb from Thursday, with a trio of days hitting 35 degrees for the city from Friday, reports Peter Hannam here. Candidates line up for Libs

Anna McPhee is seeking special permission to run for Liberal preselection in North Shore.

Anna McPhee re-joined the Liberal Party last Friday. Now she is seeking preselection to contest  the safe seat of North Shore in the upcoming byelection caused by the resignation of Jillian Skinner. Sean Nicholls reports here.  Stokes’s parting gift

Light rail artist impression

Randwick Council will become just the fourth local government in Sydney able to levy developers for affordable housing contributions across the council area – and it has former planning minister Rob Stokes to thank. Jacob Saulwick reports here. Boy approached

A seven-year-old boy in the playground at his school in Bondi was approached by a man around 2pm yesterday. The man, in his 40s, was wearing a red shirt and left in a red car when the child did not move towards him. Police are urging anyone with information  to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000  Plan ahead

Paulini features in Bodyguard. Photo: Nic Walker

Now that the Sydney Festival juggernaut has rumbled out of view for another year, fans of Sydney theatre, opera and dance can take a breather to collect their thoughts, check what’s left in their entertainment budget and plan ahead. Check out this great list of what is coming up by Elissa Blake here. Irvine charged

The Eels are under the spotlight.

Former Parramatta Eels football manager Jason Irvine has been charged over the salary cap scandal at the NRL club. Report here. Follow the latest Sydney news on FacebookSydney NowThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

NRL to audit Cronulla Sharks over termination payout to Ben Barba

Written on March 20, 2019 at 14:46, by

Payments made by Cronulla to Ben Barba before he defected to rugby union will be included in the Sharks salary cap for the 2017 season.
Nanjing Night Net

Fairfax Media understands Barba may have received up to $50,000 from the Sharks before signing a deal to play in the French rugby union competition.

On the day the club trumpeted the re-signing of Australian star Valentine Holmes, they have again been reminded of the cost of Barba’s defection to rugby.

The premiers could be forced to forfeit a chunk of this year’s salary cap as a result of his decision to walk out on the game, with the NRL set to include any termination payout or advances as part of the cap.

The Sharks were given permission by the NRL to make payments to Barba after his contract was terminated for testing positive to cocaine in October last year – concerned with the welfare and financial state of the troubled fullback.

It was expected to come out of the contract the Sharks lodged with the NRL, however the 27-year-old didn’t stick around long enough for the Sharks to get their money’s worth.

Cronulla wouldn’t confirm if those payments were made to Barba when contacted on Monday afternoon, however Fairfax Media understands the NRL will be looking closely at their books when it conducts its regular audits into club spending in the coming months.

The Sharks’ decision to support Barba in his hour of need could backfire in what would be a slap in the face given their intention to re-sign him when he received the green light from the NRL to return.

Cronulla recently agreed to a new one-year deal with Barba, however his reluctance to see out a 12-game ban, as well as frustrations over the NRL delay to register his contract, saw him take up a $2.5 million deal with French rugby giants, Toulon.

The shining light out of the disappointing saga is the retention of Holmes, the man who will replace Barba at No.1 this season.

The Queenslander, who picked up a hamstring injury in Saturday’s trial against Brisbane that will see him miss the world club challenge, will be in the shire until at least the end of 2019 after signing a two-year extension.

Holmes, who trialled alongside Jason Taumalolo in front of several NFL clubs in the off-season, also has a one-year option in his favour for 2020.

“It’s very exciting and good I was able to get it done before the start of the season,” Holmes said.

“We’re trying to keep the same team that won the premiership together, it’s a great bunch of guys, there are some good young blokes coming through and I’m really happy with the way we are going. As for playing fullback, I can’t wait to play there.”

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan, who will now turn his focus to retaining NSW Origin representative Jack Bird, said he was delighted the club was able to keep Holmes.

“Val is a representative standard player and someone destined for a long career in the NRL,” Flanagan said.

“It’s great for the club, our members and fans and for the corporate partners to know that he will be here for many years to come.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

SCG Trust begin push for new 40,000-seat stadium at Moore Park

Written on March 20, 2019 at 14:46, by

The SCG Trust has reignited its bid for a new stadium at Moore Park with a modified 40,000-seat proposal now on the table.
Nanjing Night Net

The trust’s hopes of a new stadium seemed dead in the water last year after the state government ruled in favour of providing the majority of its $1.6 billion stadia investment into ANZ Stadium, ending a push for a 60,000-seat venue at Moore Park.

However, Fairfax Media understands plans for a knock-down and rebuild on the existing Allianz Stadium site has gathered momentum during the past few months, with all key stakeholders set to back the proposal put forward by the SCG Trust.

The plans by the Trust won’t interfere with the government’s pledge to turn ANZ Stadium into a permanent rectangular facility from 2019, but there is a hope Allianz Stadium will receive more than just a coat of paint once its turn comes around.

“The NRL supports the government’s strategy to build a new stadium at Parramatta and upgrade ANZ Stadium as a first step,” an NRL spokesperson said.

“If there are sufficient funds to rebuild Allianz Stadium then we would naturally support that too.”

The Roosters, Waratahs and Sydney FC all turned against sports minister Stuart Ayres last year after claiming they were “cheated” during negotiations in which they were given guarantees a new stadium would be built on a different site to their current home.

Former premier Mike Baird then publicly criticised Ayres’ plans to build a new stadium over Kippax Lake, leaving the clubs with the possibility of being displaced for four years if they agreed to a knock-down and rebuild of Allianz Stadium.

Under the revised plans, the Trust is hoping the clubs of the three football codes unite in support of a smaller boutique venue that will take half the time to build.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian, who was spotted in the SCG Trust suite during the Sydney Test match last month prior to her promotion, has made it clear the funding priority would remain with Parramatta and ANZ Stadium.

SCG Trust chairman Tony Shepherd and ANZ Stadium chair Christine McLoughlin have been in regular discussion about the future of Sydney stadia after the Olympic stadium was returned to public ownership on July 1 last year.

The new Parramatta stadium will cost $360 million, while ANZ Stadium is likely to cost up to $800 million to be transformed into the state’s premier rectangular facility.

That will leave Allianz Stadium with about $400-$500 million to spend and, rather than upgrade the dated venue, the SCG Trust is making plans to build a new stadium on the existing site.

If plans come to fruition, the Roosters will likely move their matches to the Sydney Cricket Ground while also continuing to build its imprint on the Central Coast, where they already take matches.

The Waratahs are believed to be exploring the possibility of venturing out west, likely to play some of its matches out of the new 30,000-seat Parramatta stadium due to open in 2019.

The home of Sydney FC is up in the air and are most likely to resist being moved out of their existing home.

A potential new A-League club on the Shire would make Shark Park and Kogarah less appealing to the competition leaders.

While a move to the new Stadium in Parramatta would also be met with plenty of resistance given it will be the home of their arch rivals, Western Sydney Wanderers, who have struggled to attract fans at Spotless Stadium after leaving Pirtek Stadium.

Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City share AAMI Park in Melbourne, but the two teams aren’t bound by geographical borders like the Wanderers and Sydney FC.

There is a suggestion a compensation pay-out to clubs will help them cope with the economic disadvantages of being dislocated.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Tod Street remain on top

Written on March 20, 2019 at 14:46, by

Another week of Barossa, Light and Gawler Tennis Combined action has concluded, and competition leaders Tod Street remain 13 games undefeated.
Nanjing Night Net

Xavier Saints v NuriootpaXavier Saints took out a narrow victory over Nuriootpa on Friday night, largely led by the women’s side of the action with a 9-81 to 7-61 scoreline.

The Nuriootpa men’s doubles were on tip top form under the lights, with Dylan Sharman and Tim Grace defeating Jayden Ruediger and David Weekley by 9-3.

Roger Buckby and Rob Polito were unfortunate in defeat, going down 9-3 also.

Dylan Sharman and Ken Hodges combined for a 6-3 win over Jayden Ruediger and Daniel Roe.

The men’s single rubbers weren’t much different from the doubles.

Dylan Sharman won 6-4 over Jayden Ruediger, while Ken Hodges got a 6-3 win over Roger Buckby.

David Weekley earned a crucial victory over Tim Grace by a 6-4 scoreline.

However, the game was one in the women’s rubbers, with Saints completing a clean sweep of victories.

Indi-arna Morris and Melanie Leeflang made short work of Kimberley Seelander and Rebecca Bolton by a 9-1 scoreline.

Erin Butcher and Karen Fisher were also in relentless form, taking home a 9-0 victory.

Fisher failed to concede a point all day for Saints, a devastating statistic.

Morris defeated Seelander again in singles action, taking out a 6-0 win, while Leeflang comfortably beat Bolton 6-1.

The result continues the intense arm wrestle between the two clubs for second place.

Kapunda v Tod StreetTod Street continued on its pursuit of an invincible season, defeating Kapunda 11-101 to 5-71.

The men’s doubles rubbers were split evenly, and produced some fine tennis.

Tom Christley and Mick Matters managed to topple Ben Dickson Simon Wundersitz 9-8.

Grant Prior and David Matters were also in strong form for Kapunda, defeating Jose Len and Darren Hatcher 9-6.

The men’s singles ended on the other foot however.

Dickson comfortably beat Christley 6-1 and Wundersitz made short work of Mick Matters.

In the women’s rubbers, it was all Tod Street barring a powerful performance from Sarah Johnson.

Sarah Johnson teamed with Karen Daniel to beat Jessica Szulc and Georgia Cowgill 9-8.

Johnson seemed to have Cowgill’s number on Friday, taking out a 7-5 win in singles action.

Kapunda are now pushed further into fourth spot, level on points with Nuriootpa, while Tod Street hold a four game buffer on top.

FOREHAND: Stewart Baum releases a savage forehand.

SERVING UP: Kim Marland prepares for a strong serve.

LINING UP: Karen Woitch lines up for a powerful backhand.

HITTING BACK: Stuart Bloomfield readies himself for a strong hit.

SERVED: Finn Reed readies himself for a big serve. Photos: Jess Supple.

FOCUSED: Annemarie Nicolai focuses on the shot ahead.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.